KHICHDI RECIPE – delicious one-pot comfort meal of rice and MASOOR DAL. Nutritious and light on the tummy.
MASOOR is one lentil that is recommended for balancing all types of recipes. Even plain masoor dal khichdi sans any seasoning or spices is consumed as part of a detox diet.
In this masoor dal khichadi, onions & tomatoes are added and thats how I make a simple basic khichdi at home on regular days.Spicy Kuska Ingredients | Tasty Kushka ki Recipe
masoor beans are healthy and easy to digest. So when your stomach is upset then it is best to have khichdi. It can also be served to small babies, since it is easy to digest.
How to make khichdi recipe
1. rinse and wash 1 cup masoor lentils and 2 cups rice together very well. soak both of them together for 30 minutes in water. Then drain and keep aside.
2. Heat 2 tbsp ghee or oil in a pan or pressure cooker. Add ¾ tsp cumin/jeera.
3. When cumin splutters then add finely chopped onions (1-2 small to medium-sized onion). Saute onions till golden.
4.add green chilli (2-3) small sized chopped green chilli.
5. once the onions become translucent, then add 1 medium sized chopped tomato.
6. After tomato become soft and then add ginger, garlic paste fry till color chane in golden.
7. And then add 2-3 tbsp of curd fry 5 seconds.
8. Then add 3 and 1/2 glass of water for 2 cups of rice and 1 cup of masoor dal.
9.Then close the lid and cook for 10-15 minutes.
10. Add the drained rice and masoor dal to the pan or pressure cooker.
10. Add salt as required. Stir well.
11. Close the lid tightly and flame on low and cook for 20-30 minutes or pressure cooker on a high flame for 6 to 7 whistles.
12. Our khichdi is ready to Serve hot. you can top it with ghee while serving.
Suggestions for making Khichadi
- Unlike other rice-based dishes like pulao or biryani, in khichdi the rice grains are not so separate. You can increase or decrease the water quantity to vary the consistency of the masoor dal khichdi.
- I usually prepare khichadi in the pan or pressure cooker. if you do not have a pressure cooker, then make the dal khichdi in the pot. You will have to add some more water when cooking in a pot.
- where mixed vegetables are added. You can add vegetables like green peas, potatoes, carrots, beans, cauliflower, capsicum and brinjal.
- If making dal khichdi for small kids then you can skip or reduce the spices. Also skip adding green chilli.
- Ghee gives a better flavor in khichdi than the oil.POTATO RICE OR ALOO PULAO
You can serve moong dal khichdi with curd or accompanying raita or papad. I also like to some lemon juice on it and prefer with some finely chopped onions or vegetable salad. Also don’t forget to top it with a spoon of ghee while serving also with mint leaves and coriander leaves.